Depending on your speech therapy private practice, you may choose to accept private pay only OR bill your clients health insurance company directly.
If your private speech pathology practice is interested in billing health insurance companies, consider using the ASHA Model Superbill.
Using the ASHA Superbill will increase efficiency by using an easy to read form that clearly states what service(s) were provided, which listing the speech therapy CPT codes.
The ASHA Model Superbill is a standard form that can be filled out and given to health insurance companies who reimburse for private speech therapy. The current template uses speech pathology CPT codes from 2013.
- client identifying information
- Speech-language pathology primary and secondary diagnoses
- CPT codes for the following:
– Swallowing function
– Speech and language
– Augmentative and alternative communication
– Other procedures
- Speech therapy practice billing information
- Authorizations from you and your client
- Your private practice information including:
– Speech-Language Pathologist / Speech Therapy Clinics name and address
– Speech therapy provider NPI number
– Speech pathology tax ID number
– Speech-Language Pathologist license information
While the ASHA Model Superbill is not the “end all be all” of speech therapy private practice billing, it provides and excellent example which can be modified.
Most often, the clinician fills out the form and gives it to the patient for them to submit to THEIR health insurance company.
Click here to access –> ASHA Model Superbill
Jena H. Castro-Casbon, MS, CCC-SLP, is a private-practice consultant who has helped thousands of speech-language pathologists start and grow their own private practices through her company, The Independent Clinician. She has written articles for The ASHA Leader and Presented at ASHA Connect (2017).
You’ll find her online in theSLP Private Practice Beginners Facebook Group and in her premium programs, The Start Your Private Practice System and the Grow Your Private Practice Coaching Program.
Jena lives in Boston, MA and is a wife and mama to two young boys.