Here’s What We Discuss:
- Her uplifting perspective on the obstacles that arose along the way
- Her eye-opening advice surrounding yourself with support, both personally and professionally
- Her motto “Delete, delegate, or do” and how it has framed her work-life balance
- How her belief in herself and her ideas had to evolve over time to make her dreams come alive
- Jena’s encouragement for kindred spirits who embrace their passions wholeheartedly
- Her call for volunteers to help her non-profit fulfill its mission
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
Hillary Cooper, M.A., CCC-SLP
Hillary got her start in speech-language pathology in an outpatient private practice in Leesville, Louisiana, which served active duty soldiers, their dependents, and military retirees. The wide range of experience she gained in that position served her well when she moved to Ruston to marry her soulmate. She has since worked in long term care facilities, acute care, and home health. In 2016, Hillary decided that she wanted to set out to change the status quo of dysphagia treatment in North Louisiana, so she started her own outpatient private practice and then created North Louisiana Swallow Solutions to be the premier mobile FEES provider in the region. A chronic overachiever, Hillary has earned three ASHA Ace awards for going above and beyond the standard requirements for continuing education. She is also in the process of earning her Board Certification in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (BCS-S).
Jena H. Castro-CAsbon, MS CCC-SLP
Jena H. Castro-Casbon, MS, CCC-SLP, is a private-practice consultant who has helped thousands of speech-language pathologists start and grow their own private practices through her company, The Independent Clinician. She has written articles for The ASHA Leader and Presented at ASHA Connect (2017).
Jena lives in Boston, MA and is a wife and mama to two young boys.