Fara Augustover is a speech-language pathologist, owner of Island Wide Speech on Long Island, NY and author of the children’s book, Harmony Hears a Hoot.
Five years ago, Fara worked at a nonprofit clinic in NYC, transitioned to school based while seeing clients part time privately. As her caseload grew and the commute to Manhattan became tiresome, she decided to repurpose space in her home and create an in-house clinic complete with a separate entrance, bathroom, and waiting room.
Here’s What We Discuss:
- Where Fara’s desire to work independently stemmed from
- How she transitioned from part-time to full-time private practice
- How she decided whether to do private pay vs. insurance, what her schedule should be, whether to stick with her primary specialty (aural rehab) or branch out, and more.
- How a former professor from SUNY Buffalo taught her an important lesson that has guided decisions in her practice
- Fara’s easy to follow social media strategy
- Jena’s “aha moment” about private practice business plans
- How she became a children’s book author with a successful Kickstarter campaign
Fara Augustover, MS, CCC-SLP, received her Bachelors degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences and Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology from SUNY at Buffalo. She founded Island Wide Speech in 2013, after several years of working in the clinical field. Fara’s clientele ranges in age focusing on auditory, speech and language therapy in individual and group sessions. She has a specialty in auditory oral therapy for individuals with hearing loss, auditory processing disorder, and other listening challenges.
Jena H. Castro-Casbon, MS, CCC-SLP, is a private-practice consultant who has helped thousands of speech-language pathologists start and grow their own private practices through her company, The Independent Clinician. She has written articles for The ASHA Leader and Presented at ASHA Connect (2017).
You’ll find her online in theSLP Private Practice Beginners Facebook Group and in her premium programs, The Start Your Private Practice System and the Grow Your Private Practice Coaching Program.
Jena lives in Boston, MA and is a wife and mama to two young boys.
If you’ve been thinking starting a private practice full-time or “on the side” I encourage you to sign up for my FREE TRAINING. I’ll make sure you know everything more in a free 60 minute presentation than you ever learned in grad school!